Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why I'm Glad I'm a Christian!

(Photos by Neil Cullan McKinlay)
I don't know about you, but with all the scare-mongering going on in the world today, I'm glad I'm a Christian! Global Warming? When I lived in Winnipeg with its long minus 40+ winters I used to pray for global warming! But before you blame (or bless?) me for it all, I lived in Canada during the time of Global Freezing and Acid Rain of the 70's. I kid you not, in the 70's we were being told to worry about the planet getting colder. I suppose if I lived in Australia back then I would have been welcoming Global Cooling! Och, you can't win!


Mind you, the Chicken Littles are still running around around like, er, chickens with their heads cut off yelling, "The sky's falling! The sky's falling!" But what happened to the Chicken Flu? Ah, that is so-o-o last year! Bird Flu is all old fodder. This year it's Swine Flu we've to (not) panic about! "Don't panic, Jonesy! Don't panic!" (it's from the old Dad's Army television show - in case you don't know). I mean, they're even trying to cancel big stadium football games here in Australia - lest we catch this Swine Flu. The Roman Catholic Church in Australia has begun (again) to withhold the cup from the laity lest its parishioners contract the dreaded Swine Flu!

No, Swine Flu is not to be sneezed at. But it's not a Terrorist Bomb we've to fear at the football venues, let's see, it a case of Swine Flu that tends to be a lot less potent than the ordinary flu (which I've had three very achingly memorable times!) Yes, apparently people have died from Swine Flu. And yes, our hearts go out to those who have suffered/are suffering from this blight. However, the boy who cried wolf will need to fill us in with lots more scary details before I'll start to panic about Swine Flu not to mention Global Warming. Mind you, I don't appreciate people telling me to wear a surgical mask and that it's my old Toyota that's melting the icebergs!
However, before you think about writing me an (angry?) response, hear what the Psalmist says about it all:



"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with swelling." Psalm 46:1-3.

So there you go, put that in your pipe and smoke it! Oops, let me now tell you about the dangers of smoking... not!

"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels, nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely picture of bumble bees in flight! Was there perhaps a subconscious link between the words "flight" and "flu"? One is reminded of a BBC radio news item from years ago involving "heir", "air", and (cancelled) "flight". It began: "Prince Charles has flu. He ought to have flown..."

    ReplyDelete