Saturday, June 26, 2010

Has the Planet Been Saved Yet?

"Save the Planet!" has been the war-cry for decades. Surely the planet has been saved by now, many times over!

I've been putting my empty cardboard boxes, bits of plastic and cans etc. in the recycling bin for many a year now. So, what about it?

I use hardly any water here in sunny Queensland. I turn off the tap when I'm brushing my teeth. Four minute showers are the norm even though our city reservoirs are half an inch from total capacity. I have a 10,000 litre rainwater tank. I don't know what to do with all that water! I use those silly dim light bulbs that claim to use less power and last longer than the type we used to use!

So what about it? Has the planet been saved yet?

The truth of the matter is that I've never been concerned about "saving the planet." I believe this line to be nonsense! However, I can tell you that God would have us be good stewards of the resources He has given us!

The world already has a Saviour. It doesn't need me or you as its saviour!

However, we ought to include good stewardship as part of our response of gratitude to God because "The Father has sent the Son as Saviour of the world" 1 John 4:14.

Go ahead, recycle, if it makes you feel better, but trust only in the only means God has provided us. Trust only in Jesus Christ as our and the planet's Saviour!

No comments:

Post a Comment