Saturday, May 28, 2016

Life After Death?


In the so called Apostles’ Creed we state that we believe in the resurrection of the body.

Indeed, Christianity hinges on Christ’s bodily resurrection (1 Cor. 15:17).

If Christ survived death then so will all who belong to Him.

I believe our study and interpretation of the Bible is science and is therefore scientific.

In other words hermeneutics is science.

I lifted the following from the Internet: “According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the definition of science is ‘knowledge attained through study or practice,’ or ‘knowledge covering general truths of the operation of general laws, esp. as obtained and tested through scientific method [and] concerned with the physical world.’”

To talk about physical resurrection (as it is relayed in the Bible) is to be “concerned with the physical world.”

My personal “scientific” study began as a young teenager up at my doo-hut [ie, homing pigeon loft] next to the Tullichewan Castle.

We used to hold séances there, a.k.a. “spirit in the glass.”

We would put Vaseline or butter on the glass to make sure no one was pushing it. We tried but we couldn’t physically move the glass like this.

The glass used to whirr around the board spelling things.

One time it spun around on its own and then flew off and hit the wall!

Blind forces cannot spell out names.

For me, this meant there was another dimension or an invisible world in which rational thought existed.

It seems to me that this is scientific, i.e., a logical conclusion “through study and practice” i.e., from the facts of what was taking place in the physical world (i.e., an inverted glass spelling out sentences on a board (at times with no one laying a finger on it).

I thought I was communicating with people who were physically dead, (because that was what the “glass” was telling us).

However, according to the Bible I was probably dabbling with demons (which were perhaps pretending to be people who had died).

Either way, it opened up for me the real possibility (to me) that a supreme but invisible mind actually existed.

I gradually became more open to the idea that the God of the Bible might actually exist.

It all seemed logical to me: Physical human beings communicate by the spoken or written or word.

Here was something invisible (to me) communicating by the written word.

The Bible claims to be (the invisible) God communicating by the written word.

However, it wasn’t inverted whisky glasses that God moved, but something more sophisticated, viz., men:  “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” 1 Pet. 1:21 KJV.

After years of “study and practice” you’ll be pleased to know that I now trust the Bible over Ouija boards! 

I believe what Jesus, the resurrected One, tells me in His written Word (from cover to cover).

No comments:

Post a Comment